Now Accepting Applications!
Apply to PCS West
Provident Charter School West is designed for students who have dyslexia or other language-based learning differences. Provident Charter School West is an approved Pennsylvania Charter School and is located in Baden, PA.
Provident Charter School West is a free public charter school for children whose primary diagnosis or area of difficulty is dyslexia/specific learning disability. The school’s program is designed specifically and intentionally to meet the instructional and social needs of bright students who struggle to become skilled readers (e.g. children with dyslexia/SLD). The school will be accepting applications for rising grades 1-4 for the 2023-2024 school year.
PCS West defines qualified students as those who have:
- a primary diagnosis of dyslexia/SLD through a formal public or private evaluation if they have been evaluated
- the characteristics of dyslexia through an assessment/screener administered after the application is received
- demonstrated the need for such specific services through (but not limited to) documentation in an IEP, 504 plan with dyslexia/SLD as the primary eligibility, or documentation from previous schools that the student is not meeting grade-specific standards in literacy
Provident Charter School West’s Application Process
The parent or legal guardian completes the application process by completing the application form with the necessary accompanying paperwork required. Once the application is completed, the admissions committee will schedule an informal screening of your child if the committee feels it is needed. During the winter of 2023, the Ambridge School District approved the ability for PCS West to be mission-specific and only admit students who meet the criteria of a Qualified Student for PCS West’s mission.
The Determination Process for Qualified Students to be used by the Admissions Team is as follows:
1. A review of the documents submitted as part of the Application Process.
2. A review of the student’s informal screening.
3. A determination by the Admissions Team as to whether the child demonstrates an unexpected reading delay and can be classified as having the characteristics of dyslexia/SLD, if not previously diagnosed or qualified through an Individual Education Plan (IEP, 504 Plan, and/or recent public/private psychological evaluation by a licensed school psychologist within the past 1-3 years).
Notice of Qualification
Once the Admissions Team has completed the process and determined if the child is a Qualified Student, the parent/legal guardian shall be notified by phone and email. During the 2023-2024 inaugural school year, PCS West will have rolling admissions. The enrollment packet shall be sent by the email provided on the application. The parent or guardian has 14 days to complete the enrollment packet. If PCS West has received no response to the enrollment packet by the indicated date, it shall be deemed that the offer of admission has been declined and a letter to that effect will be sent to the parent/legal guardian of the student. Applications must contain ALL applicable and accurate information.
Be sure to select the appropriate school, West, when submitting an application.